The main objective of testing is to find defects in requirements, design, documentation & in code, so that the defects will be fixed and the product delivered to the customer is defect less. So with the help of testing, it is possible to measure the quality of software in terms of defects found. Testing can give confidence in the quality of the software if it finds few or no defects.
Historical Definitions of Testing:
- Primary role of testing is not demonstration of correct performance, but the exposure of hidden defects. -> G. J. Myers
- Establishing confidence that a program does what it is supposed to do. ->Hetzel
- The process of executing a program or system with the intent of finding errors. -> Myers
- Testing shows the presence, not the absence, of bugs. -> E. W. Dijkstra.
Importance of Testing:
- Detects the existence of defects so that defects will be fixed.
- Delivering the right product.
- Satisfying customer’s needs.
- Meeting the customer’s expectations.